IIC Student Spotlight
1) What undergraduate college did you attend? Where?
University of Colorado, Boulder
2) What was your undergraduate focus?
History (European/Cold War), and Music (Percussion)
3) How did you become interested in the IIC Program?
I currently work with a number of DU alum, one of which was part of the IIC program. After the suggestion to check the program out, I was drawn to the flexibility in the degree program as well as a new approach to working within an international context. The focus on the methods and content of the way we communicate across cultures offered what I considered to be a practical approach to better understanding the issues related to globalization.
4) What is your favorite place where you've traveled/lived so far?
I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Mongolia. The connections with the community members and my adoptive family made my experiences there by far the most interesting place to live.
5) Do you have a dream job? What?
I don’t necessarily have a dream job, but maybe a line of work. I want to work in support of local voices gaining footing in discourse around development and human rights.
6) What is your favorite part about the IIC program thus far (i.e. favorite class)?
My favorite class has been Culture, Gender, and Global Communication. Weekly panels including groups able to discuss a variety of issues add real-life context to the discussion.
7) Anything else you would like to share?
The IIC program offers a great opportunity to study a variety of subjects, both within the field of Communication and International Studies, and provides context to the theoretical applications that we study.