Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Jump Start Welcome

Hi, my name is Katie, and along with Joanna, I will be helping to keep all of you updated on any events and updates for the program. Below I have shared my own personal experience at our orientation. I look forward to getting to know all of you better as the year progresses! 


The decision to come to the University of Denver was one that took multiple pros and cons lists, late nights of virtual tours, and thorough examination of curriculums. As it came down to the wire to make a decision, I went on some blind faith that DU would be the school for me. Departing for Denver, a place that I had only ever seen in pictures, I started to wonder just what exactly had I gotten myself into. Coming from New York, how was I going to handle being displaced so far from what I’ve spent 22 years becoming familiar with? Now, I’ve only been in Denver for a little over a week, but I’ve never felt more at home in a place so unknown.

The welcome party for all new and continuing IIC students was held on Saturday, September 8, in the International House. The orientation solidified the feelings I had already begun to feel about Denver and I knew that I had made the right choice. Students and faculty alike were open and inviting, which was quite a refreshing feeling. While I still felt like I had my guard up, the walls were slowly starting to come down as the night proceeded. Starting off the orientation, students formed into five different groups as different stakeholders in a very emotionally charged issue surrounding a group of indigenous people in Panama, the Ngäbe-Buglé. The discussion that followed made me realize again why I was here and was comforting to know that I will be sharing a classroom with like-minded individuals. It was certainly an intense way to start off the school year, but gave a quick insight into the fast-paced and exciting material that will be covered this quarter.

After the students worked up an appetite, it was time for dinner. We all began to learn a little more about each other over a great meal. As dinner came to a close the new graduate students were taught a very important lesson from Margie, about the importance of bringing zip lock bags to catered events! In just a few short hours I had already learned so much. The orientation was definitely a wonderful way to begin the school year and while the daunting first day still hung over my head, I was at ease now that good company would surround me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment