Tuesday, October 2, 2012

IIC Spotlight

Each week we will be highlighting a different student in the program so we can all get to know our peers a little better. This week we thought we'd start out with ourselves! 

Get to know your Communication Assistants: 

Joanna Hamel and Kaitlyn Bayne


Name: Kaitlyn Bayne
Hometown: Mineola, New York
College: Niagara University
Undergraduate Focus: Communication Studies and French
How did you become interested in the IIC program? I was looking for a program that would combine all of my interests into one. I had found a few programs that I liked but when a professor suggested this program to me it seemed like the perfect fit. I went on a gut feeling, having never been to visit DU, let alone Colorado, that this was the right program – and so far it seems to be so.
Name some specific areas within IIC you’re interested in: I am definitely interested in focusing on global health communications. Specifically what area of communications, I’m not sure yet, since I find so many realms of it to be fascinating, as of now I’m leaning more towards public relations.
Favorite place you’ve traveled to so far: Soloy, Panama
Dream job: I don’t know that I’ve figured that out just yet, but I think my first goal is landing an internship position with MSF doing press work or multimedia work, which I know can be quite difficult, but one that I think would be a really good fit for me. 




Name: Joanna Hamel
Hometown: Chapman, Kansas
College: University of Kansas
Undergraduate Focus: Journalism and International Studies
How did you become interested in the IIC program? My sister went to grad school for social work at DU and I discovered the IIC degree while looking at what other graduate programs DU had to offer. It's a very unique program and perfectly combines my undergraduate studies and interest areas.
Name some specific areas within IIC you’re interested in: International non-profit work or multicultural programs/study abroad in higher education are two of my main interest areas.
Favorite place you’ve traveled to so far: Capri, Italy or Santorini, Greece
Dream job: I would love to be a study abroad program director or advisor to students in higher education. I had the greatest experience studying abroad and also had the opportunity to work in the study abroad department at the University of Kansas when I returned. I want to encourage others to have the same wonderful experience I did!



No comments:

Post a Comment