Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Intercultural PR- Importance of Identity With Communication

Importance of Identity With Communication- Yessenia Cano

            Have you ever pondered in all seriousness who you are? What kind of identity do you identify with and why? In one of our communications class the professor gave us an exercise to write down at least ten major factors that make up our identity, and I must say, it was a very difficult exercise to complete. It was difficult because it was hard to put my identity in words and to specify factors that influenced my identity. In Curtin et al’s article they discuss how identity is formed through relations with others and heavily influenced by daily situations that will constantly be changing our identities. So why is identity important for communications in general? It’s important, in my opinion, because you have to be aware of who you are yourself in order to have a connection with others and to have successful communication. Especially in intercultural and international communications where the different customs and ideals might challenge you, having a strong sense of your identity will help you be more open to others and will even help strengthen your identity. To have meaningful communication with others they usually want to understand you fully, so how would they be able to understand you if you yourself have issues with your identity? I discuss this from a personal level because I myself have identity issues from being a Third Culture child and sometimes I find myself having trouble connecting with others, but communications classes are teaching me and broadening my knowledge to learn and strengthen my communication skills that will help me also find my true identity.

Resources
Curtin, A. Patricia, Gaither, T. Kenn. (2009). Contested Notions of Issue Identity in International Public Relations: A Case Study. Journal of Public Relations Research. V. 18, 1. 67 – 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment